Thursday 2 August 2012

Angry Appendix part 2

So, I was lying there with lots of drugs in my system and the surgeon came over.
He explained that my appendix had been very angry and they had to chop it out. So I asked what anyone would ask in such a situation I asked- "Where is my appendix?"  I mean, I didn't want to lose track of any of my body parts, so I felt it was important to know where it was.
"Oh," said the surgeon, "Here it is..." and he held up a specimen jar which had in it my rather disgusting appendix.
I am not going to describe it in detail I think it is suffice to say that once you see something you can't un-see it, and that sometimes I lay awake at night unable to sleep knowing that thing had been inside me....
So my appendix was out. I was rolled back up to the ward and left to sleep of the anaesthetic.
I ended up spending a further three days in hospital after the op as I needed IV antibiotics and also due to the fact that I kept vomiting- lovely.
During my time on the ward I learned a two things.
1. There is no privacy in hospital. Everyone knows your business. Yes, they pull a curtain round you but it is just a curtain and everyone can still hear everything! This means that I can now tell you the medical histories of the three women who were in the ward with me. But don't worry I wont because that would be boring, unethical and possible illegal.
2. Nurses are worth their weight in gold. Don't get me wrong the drs are great too. But they kind of swoop in and stand around you, then they talk about you and then they disappear. But saying that, they did fix me so I cant complain. But the nurses, they are incredible. Despite being overstaffed they would do anything for you. One night I was feeling particularly sad and rather embarrassingly I was sitting in my bed sobbing. I was tired, sore and lonely. (Tiny violin anyone?) So I was trying to be sly about it. Don't get me wrong, my room-mates were lovely but I felt a bit daft blubbing in front of strangers. So I was trying to be sly. But then, one of the nurses noticed and she came over. Said: "Come here sweetheart," gave me a hug and got me a cup of tea. She then sat with me for 20 minutes (during which I am sure she had lots of other things to do) and made sure I felt better and then left me in the care of my room-mates who had gathered round my bed with gossip magazines so we could play find the worst fake tan. (I did mention they were lovely).
Anyway, the nurses were brilliant. They took wonderful care of me and I cannot say enough about them.
Finally on the Tuesday afternoon I was discharged and with scores of drugs and painkillers I was allowed home to recover- hopefully in time for my holiday to Morocco in t-minus 16 days.....

Kisses
Fi
xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment