Friday 20 January 2012

six months on.

First, I must apologise, it has been a long time since I have blogged to you all. I realise that probably no-one missed me too much but if you did I am sorry.
When I started this Blog I set it up to pass on my experiences of graduating from university and what life has brought me. I went a little off course with tales of spiders and just the general ridiculousness of my life, but i thought I would give you all an update on life after Uni.
This week I finished my 6 months probation period of my first ever paid job as a reporter. It seems they are going to keep me - which is nice of them!!
So what has it been like doing uni and getting a job in what I want to do? Honestly, it has caused me mixed emotions. From excitement of yes this great and what I want to do, to I am so bored and disillusioned I want to cry to I am terrified and am not cut out for this. I think these feelings are fairly normal (or at least I hope they are!!)
I will admit that I have quite often been bored, not because I am so brilliant that the work is too easy, but simply that sometimes there isn't much to do. It is on days like these I have to remind myself that this is my first step and that I should just be grateful to be in the position I am in. I get to sit and write all day which for me is pretty much living the dream!
However it is still a little scary to no longer be a student, I know that sounds silly but some mornings when my alarm goes off at 7 I close my eyes and dream of 2pm lectures and weekday nights out. I think the adjustment from education of any kind to work is hard!I
Fortunately, for my sanity a  number of my friends finished uni at the same time of me and so we were all a little bit lost together. And to be honest I think that many of us will admit that we are still a little lost by it all. There are so many questions to be answered- Where do I want to live? What do I want to do? Do I want to start work straight away? To name but a few.
So I have watched my friends and myself all go through different experiences. Some have jobs they want, some have jobs they don't want and others are planning adventures in distant lands. But I think all things considered, we are all doing pretty well. Some days I find myself in my office thinking; what is the point? I have no idea how I am going to get where I want to be. It can be frustrating and disheartening. But it can also be exciting. I sometimes look at my dream jobs and think- that will never be me! But now I just keep telling myself- someone has to do it, so why not me?
I also know people who simply don't know what they want to do. But how many of us actually do?
As the sunscreen song says: "Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives."
But regardless of where my friends are in their lives, I am so very proud of all of us. Because well, we have come so far and we have reached so high. . .
But no seriously, on the whole, things are going well. I am happy and content for now and am looking forward to seeing what the next six months will bring. . .  oh and I promise I will try to start blogging more.

Love and kisses,
Fi
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment